Sunday, September 19, 2010

Vicki Davis'Class

Using the Web 2.0 style with cell phones keep students motivated, focused, and they are always "On Task". So, there are fewer discipline issues to worry about. I see these students very actively involved in the lesson plan that has been prepared for them, and I am quite sure that planning just one class using computers and cell phones simultaneously is not easy. It requires time organizing what to do, and what to expect from them every class session. Goals need to be very clear in order for them to visualize how serious this class is. On the other hand, Administrators need to "understand" technology as a means to acquire knowledge not to waste time  as some have the tendency to. I wish I could do this project in my class, especially because they can speak or text Spanish. Nevertheless, the student's handbook prohibits these types of electronic devices. That means we need to make an amendment to the school rules once we know how to exploit these resources very well. Moreover, how to guarantee everyone is able to have access to cell phones and computers at the same time, at least in school. No Homework would be suitable due to some students who do not even have a place to stay. But this is the real 21st Century class we have been looking for. It is nor perfect now but we all can improve it. For me it would be "my passion"  

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading your blogs. You are very reflective and always seeing things from an angle I might not have considered.
    You are so right administrators do indeed need to 'understand' technology and the great impact they have on student achievement. I believe there would be more constructive use of technology in the classroom and less 'blocked' sites, if there was more understanding. Thanks for your great reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. Vicki must have spent some time organizing her class using the technological tools. But I am sure that she can say it was all worth the time. Enjoyed post!

    ReplyDelete